Posts Tagged ‘moss 2007’

h1

Firefox IE Tab Script Debug Errors

30/05/2009

Recently I’ve been working a little bit with Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007.  It is recommended that Internet Explorer is used to interact with this web based system as it provides the widest and tightest integration and range of features.  Unfortunately I have a strong preference for Mozilla Firefox over Internet Explorer.

However there’s a nice add-on for Firefox that helps me get round the annoyance of having to have two browsers open – IE Tab.  Whilst it is still fundamentally using Internet Explorer, it allows me to set sites to automatically load into a Firefox tab and render a page using the Internet Explorer ‘engine’.  One browser window and no need to remember when to open another browser.

Unfortunately SharePoint seems to play poorly sometimes.  Whilst still fundamentally working I was getting a lot of problems accessing my ‘My Site’  and occasional problems in other areas.  I was plagued by dialog boxes asking me if I would like to debug when trying to move the mouse pointer to click on a link.  So much so that it just seemed to be unusable.

This seems to be a known issue (and looks like it falls back to some poor SharePoint coding), and Microsoft recommend simply turning off the warnings by setting an option in Internet Explorer.  Far from ideal, but it’s not like I can fix the problems for them.

Disable Script Debugging

Disable Script Debugging

To set this, open Internet Explorer, select the tools menu and Internet options… .  Select the Advanced tab and in the browsing section select the “Disable Screen Debugging (Internet Explorer)” option.

Unfortunately the debug messages continue to appear, but they don’t appear in Internet Explorer when it is run outside of Firefox.  I double checked and without this option set Internet Explorer did experience the same issues.

The resolution to the IE Tab in Firefox is however close to hand.  It seems odd at first that the disable option explicitly mentions Internet Explorer.  After all what else would you set an option for…?  Well it looks like there’s a separate option for anything using the Internet Explorer rendering engine outside of the main browser … such as IE Tab.  The option is “Disable Screen Debugging (Other)” and it works like a charm.

So until Microsoft sort out their SharePoint warnings and for all those IE Tab users out there who need to use SharePoint I’d recommend popping into Internet Explorer and setting the script debugging options.

Advertisements
h1

SharePoint Filenames Issue

14/05/2009

Today I came across an issue in Microsoft SharePoint Server 2007 (a.k.a. MOSS).  I was trying to upload some Microsoft PowerPoint slides into a slide library in a My Site and everything had gone fine with the first presentation, but the second one I tried came up with an error:

1 of 1 slides being published to ... failed

1 of 1 slides being published to ... failed

As you can see this is not a useful message as there’s simply no indication of why the failure occurred.

After a couple of minutes trawling the web I came across a TechNet article that suggested using explorer and uploading using WebDav might overcome this.  I published the slides to a local folder and set them copying to the library through explorer.  Unfortunately this didn’t work either.

An error occurre copying some or all of the selected files.

An error occurred copying some or all of the selected files.

Another meaningless message and still no further towards resolving the issue.

After another five minutes of further hands on and Internet free investigation I found the cause of the issue.  Apparently SharePoint is a bit particular about file names.  If a file name has two successive dots / periods in it, then it won’t allow you to upload it.  I checked this for document and image libraries too.  All libraries are lists in SharePoint, so I’m reasonably confident that it’s an issue across the board.

So if you have a file named “Dot2..dot.doc” for example would give you the issue but “Dot2.dot.doc” would work just fine.  So if you see an error like those shown above, check your filename and rename it if it has the two successive dots.